Monday, May 29, 2017

First Day at the Job Sites

Today, as I stepped off the bus for my first day at construction, the kids I played with last year recognized me and wanted to catch up with me. They were overwhelmed with joy as we carried them and they climbed on us. Then, as the day ended, Ryan gave them hats which made them the happiest I have ever seen anyone. It amazes me still after 2 trips how happy they can be with so little and such horrible living conditions. 
- Andrew Woodard

So today I was on VBS. When we finally made it to our site we unloaded the bus and got ready for VBS. In the morning we did the creation story and made a craft which was a wheel like thing that when you spun it showed the different days of the creation. In the afternoon we did the story where the shepherd lost a sheep and hunted it down and made a sheep puppet for the craft. When we finished, the clinic had like another 40 people to take care of so we took out the jump ropes and bubbles. We got very tired from jumping too much.
- Christopher Woodard

To keep the children at bay while others set up for VBS at Batey Higuera I became fingernail polisher extraordinaire!!! That is until Glenn came to get me to let me know that this year we were going to make eyeglasses part of our medical component and he was tagging me as "IT". He wasn't sure how it was going to work so I could figure it out. Fortunately, I only had to distribute reading glasses. That was easy since I had to figure out my own "prescription". Try, fail, try again. I had a whole box of tricks and made about 60 people very happy. Unfortunately there were a few that had very obvious cataracts that no glasses were going to fix. I told everyone El gusto es mio to their thank yous and added "Via con Dios!"  Overall it was a great day.  Oh, one more thing, my granddaughter is in the blue shirt, long hair, black shoes in some pictures. She did great today. So proud of her!
- Corrie Cooley




















No comments:

Post a Comment