Monday, May 28, 2018

Monday -- Work Day 1 -- Let's get to work!!!


Today (5/28/2018) has been a great day. I worked with the construction team today. The team took a bus to the school (beside Ebeneezer Baptist) that our church has been helping to build for the last few years. We are up to four floors now and we ended up painting the third floor. The fourth floor actually does not have a roof but it counts because there is a bathroom up there. At the beginning I participated in painting a gate, that is pictured below. I have painted several times at home but never with paint this thin with the viscosity similar to water. They loved to use paint thinner when the paint was running low. I also played with the kids from the local community and taught them how to thumb wrestle. Some of the kids walked around with rubber bands on their wrists and they wanted to give them to me to play with. It is amazing that these kids have so little and are willing to share what they have to make a friend. It shows how spoiled people can be, including myself, when it comes to sharing. God is working in many ways everywhere throughout the world.

Thanks,
- Sean Haywood


God gives joy in unexpected ways, you just have to be willing to be open. Last year I worked with the dentist pulling teeth and was expecting to do the same this year. I was scheduled to be in the clinic, but on the ride to the batey I learned that no dentist would be accompanying us for today. I was upset for a little, but my mom told me to stay positive. When we arrived, I decided I would just do VBS instead of working in the clinic since they needed an extra hand. Immediately, children began holding my hand, playing with my hair, and walking all around with me. I also painted lots of fingernails. All of the children were so sweet and so respectful. We read the story of  Noah's Arc in the morning and the story of Jesus and the Children in the afternoon. The morning group was around 50 kids, and in the afternoon, once all the school kids got out, our group grew to probably around 100! We gave out drawstring bags with pencil pouches inside as well as some juice and crackers. We did two different crafts with each group. Countless children came up to me to show me their pictures they had colored. It really touched me how proud they were of their work and how they valued my opinion enough to share with me. As we were leaving I probably got at least 15 hugs from the children. I had an amazing day. The bonds formed with the people here are truly irreplaceable.  

Ashley King







































No comments:

Post a Comment